Home  Apartments  Car Hire  Reservations  Maps  Guide  Attractions  Property  Business  Travel  Contact  Office  Index  Login 
Office  Currency  Consulate  Translations  Fiscal  Vehicles  Organisations  Services  Computers  Tenerife Owners 
Tenerife apartment rentals logo

British Consulate

British Consulate Santa Cruz de Tenerife
FCO Logo British nationals visiting, or residing in Tenerife are fortunate to have available an exceptional level of support from the British Consulate.
The consulate is operated very effectively under the guidance of our Consul Mr David Ward
The Commercial department, based on the island of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, is headed up by Mr Peter Nevitt.
EuroSol constantly use the enviable services of the Consulate for our clients, so be aware of the existence, location and importance of this valuable asset.

Key information on this page

Disclaimer. Neither the British Consulate or EuroSol accept responsibility for any errors, omissions or invalidity of the information available here, which is presented for general guidance only.Always contact the Consulate, or EuroSol, for the latest facts regarding specific situations.
Foreigners - childbirth in Tenerife
Babies in Tenerife Foreign Nationals residing in Tenerife, who have a child born in Tenerife, MUST get the birth registered at their town hall within 16 to 20 days (depends on municipality) of the birth. Being born in Tenerife, does not automatically 'Nationalize', or make the child 'Spanish', but naturally, the birth must be recorded. You will need the registration documents to arrange a passport for the child. Failure to do this, will of course mean that the child will not be able to leave Tenerife, see below.

Children and Passports
It is no longer possible to have children recorded on adult passports for travel purposes. Any child is now an individual in its own right and must now be furnished with his/her own passport in order to travel. Notice the implications of this if your child is born outside your country of origin.

Contacting the Consulate. (first floor, above Barclays Bank in Plaza Weyler, see Map)
British Consulate
Plaza Weyler 8-1
Apartado 10088
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Canary Islands.
Tel: 922 286863   Fax: 928 289903
Office Hours:
Normally open to the public between 0830 and 1400 local time (GMT plus any Daylight Saving Time)
During July and August, 0800 - 1330 on Monday to Thursdays, and 0800 - 1300 on Fridays.

Commercial Department - (La Palmas de Gran Canaria) Tel: 928 262508   .Fax: 928 267774

What the Consulate may be able to do for you

What the Consulate CANNOT do for you

Consulate Booklet - 'Notes on Settling in Tenerife'
Extracts from this excellent guide are shown below, which is available from the Consulate. This serves as a guide on content, so please make sure you obtain the latest copy that reflects any recent changes.

Long Term Staysclick
Buying Property in Spainclick
Importation of vehicles.click
Motor insurance regulationsclick
Driving licences.click
Treatment for UK Pensioners in Spain.click
Wedding trousseauxclick
Religious Amenitiesclick
Births, Deaths and Marriagesclick
Employment Of British Citizensclick
Residence In Spainclick
British Consular Offices In Spainclick
Spanish Representation In the UK.click
Hospitals/Clinics In Tenerifeclick
Local Spanish Publicationsclick
English Language Publicationsclick

Note - For a person planning to settle in the Canary Islands, the only sure way of evaluating local conditions, is to visit the islands, talk to other expatriate residents, to a lawyer and possibly estate agents, and see for oneself.


1. The Canary Islands are part of Spain and are divided into two provinces; the Province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, which comprises the islands of Tenerife, La Palma, Gomera and Hierro and the Province of Las Palmas, consisting of the islands of Grand Canary, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.

2. The Province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife has a total population of about 750,000. Tenerife is the main island, its capital being Santa Cruz with a population of over 200,000. The principal holiday resorts are Puerto de la Cruz on the North Coast and Playa de las Americas/Los Cristianos in the South. The island had 4 million visitors in 2001, of whom some 1.8 million were British. The large port at Santa Cruz handles over 52 million tons of shipping annually.


3. Iberia runs scheduled services daily between the UK and Tenerife via Madrid, and GB Airways started a direct daily service in October 2002. Monarch Airlines also run a regular scheduled service on Tuesdays and Fridays. The journey by air from London takes four to four and a half hours by jet aircraft. There are a large number of charter flights from the UK to Tenerife and the cost of a return ticket on these is often cheaper than a single ticket on a scheduled flight. Cruise vessels from the UK call on the island at irregular intervals.

4. There are good inter-island passenger services by ferry, jet-foil and air. There is also a regular car-ferry service to and from Cadiz on the Spanish mainland.


5. Visitors - British Citizens may visit Spain on production of a valid passport. No further formalities are required.

6. Long Term Stays - British and other EC citizens may freely reside in Spain. Work permits are no longer required, but for long periods of stay, please see Annex A and B for some additional notes on employment in Spain.


7. The Canary Islands have different customs regulations to mainland Spain and Duty Free Allowances are those which apply to passengers coming from outside the European Union. Please see Paragraph 46 for more information covering importation requirements.


8. Electricity is now generally supplied at a nominal 220 volts AC, 50 cycles, although a supply of 110 volts AC, 50 cycles is still found in some older houses. The total supply to a house or flat sometimes does not exceed 10 amps, which is less than the supply to one power socket in the UK. It is therefore quite often not possible to use an electric cooker, heater or kettle, as these would overload the mains supply. For this reason, most cooking and heating is done by bottled gas, which is very cheap by UK standards.


9. Imported cigarettes, wines and spirits have always been much cheaper than in the UK. Since Spain's acceptance of the Euro currency, the cost of living in general has dropped well below that of the UK.


10. Routine remittances from banks in the UK will usually take about a week. British Citizens wishing to have funds sent to them in the islands should therefore make the necessary arrangements with their UK bank in plenty of time or bring a bank draft with them.

11. In emergencies it is possible to obtain funds from the UK within an hour through any branch of Western Union. Information is available through the following free telephone numbers -
UK - 0800 833 833
SPAIN - 900 633 633.

12. Barclays Bank have branches in Tenerife at:

Plaza Weyler 8, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tel: 922 28 52 66
Villalba Hervas 2, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tel: 922 24 46 39
Obispo Perez Caceres s/n, Puerto de la Cruz, Tel. 922 371944
Plaza de la Iglesia s/n, Los Cristianos, Arona, Tel: 922 75 03 66
Complejo Garden City, Playa de las Americas, Adeje, Tel: 922 79 30 62

Lloyds TSB Bank have an office at:

Avenida de Anaga, 37-39, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tel: 922 533600 Fax: 922 283916

13. The following Spanish banks have offices in London and various branches on most of the islands:

a) Banco Bilbao Vizcaya, 100 Cannon Street, London EC4 6EH, Tel: 207 6063060
b) Banco de Santander, 10 Moorgate, London EC2R 6LD, Tel: 207 606 7766
c) Banesto, 33 King Street, London EC2, Tel: 207 606 4883
d) Banco Hispano Americano, 15 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2DJ, Tel: 207 628 4499

14. There is no restriction on the import of capital into Spain, but persons who make such transfers are advised to keep records showing that the funds are transferred from abroad and not derived from income arising in Spain. An important point to remember is that even if only in transit, passengers should declare on arrival money brought into the country, if this exceeds the equivalent of 6,000 Euros. Failure to do so can result in confiscation of the money on departure.

15. Transfers of capital from Spain are governed by the Spanish Foreign Exchange regulations. From 1.2.92 residents who wish to travel abroad are entitled to take out up to 1 million pesetas per person per trip. Anyone wishing to take out more than this should consult their bankers before attempting to do so.

16. The Ministerio de Hacienda (Ministry of Finance) has published a pamphlet on the rules and regulations of "Foreign Capital Investments in Spain" and interested persons can write to the Servicio Central de Información del Ministerio de Hacienda, Calle Alcala 5, 28010 Madrid. Detailed information on any of these points can be obtained from established local banks or financial consultants.


17. Residents are allotted an identity number preceded by the initials "N.I.F." which will be used to identify them on official forms and during fiscal administration by the Spanish State.


18. There is an Agreement between the United Kingdom and Spain on the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income and Capital, signed in London on 21 October 1975, copies of which are available from any of the branches of Her Majesty's Stationery Office. Also, the Spanish Finance Ministry publishes a booklet in English entitled "Taxation Regulations for Foreigners", available from the Servicio Central de Información del Ministerio de Hacienda.

The Anglo/USA firm of Chartered Accountants Ernst and Young, have an office at -
Calle Bravo Murillo, 5, 4th Floor, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tel: 922 24 30 86, Fax: 922 24 07 38.
Persons spending more than 6 months each year in Spain must complete a Spanish income tax return if their income exceeds Pesetas 1.1 million per annum. The Consulate is unable to give detailed personal advice on personal taxation.


19. Consular officers cannot undertake to assist British citizens in choosing property or land to rent or buy, nor can they enter into detailed correspondence on the subject. Some local estate agents, who are able to correspond in English are listed at Annex F, but this list is provided without liability.

20. Land and property prices are higher around big urban areas in Tenerife, such as Santa Cruz, Puerto de la Cruz and Playa de las Americas. Since the purchase of property or land is complicated and there are many pitfalls, British citizens are strongly advised to consult an English-speaking lawyer (see Annex H), before taking any irrevocable steps to acquire real estate. For example, some areas of the province are military zones and purchases in those areas may require the prior approval of the military authorities. The existence of a vendor's authentic title to a property should be proved beyond doubt before a contract is signed, or money paid over. Title deeds to a property should be most carefully preserved. It is advisable to have legalised photocopies made of them, particularly when the originals are to be used by officials in transfer formalities. It is strongly recommended to engage one's own lawyer and not to be persuaded to employ the vendor's lawyer to save expense. Anyone considering purchasing property in Spain may wish to seek advice from the -

Institute of Foreign Property Owners
Avenida de L'Alt Rei En Jaume 1, No.15, 2, Pta.9, Aptdo. de Correos 418, 03590 Altea, Alicante.
Tel: (96) 584 23 12, Fax: (96) 584 15 89.
The Institute publish an information book entitled "Your Home in Spain" which should prove of interest.

Buying Property in Spain

Buying Property in Spain has many potential pitfalls for the buyer and is subject to different legal procedures than in the UK. This is a list of some do's and don'ts, which will assist you if you decide to buy a house or flat in Spain.



21. Timeshare and holiday week schemes are common in the Canaries, but there are many rogue companies and visitors are sometimes pressured into purchases they subsequently regret. Anyone interested in investing in such schemes would be advised to obtain legal advice before entering into any commitment, as well as consulting the web site www.crimeshare.cc/ for a black list of fraudulent companies. They may also wish to consult a leaflet issued by the Department of Trade and Industry in the UK entitled "Your Place in the Sun - or is it?" Copies are available from the Department or at the British Consulate.


22. The services of a local lawyer are essential when the purchase of a house or other real estate is contemplated and there are many other occasions when legal advice would be needed. Legal procedures and legal registration of documents take longer in Spain than in the United Kingdom and many local lawyers are slow in correspondence.

23. It is advisable to take photocopies of all important documents and papers, which are to be handed over to other persons for processing. Many documents originating outside Spanish territory will require to be legalised in the country of origin before their use in Spain is accepted.

24. The legalisation of British documents (and certain British territories and Commonwealth countries) for use in Spain, requires the issue of an "Apostille" of the 1961 Hague Convention concerning the abolition of further legal requirements. A notary in the country of origin of the document should be consulted. In the event of a document being unacceptable to the Spanish authorities due to the lack of the appropriate Apostille, the document would have to be returned to the country of origin for its issue. The address is as follows:
The Legalisation Office
Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
Old Admiralty Building
London SW1A 2LG
Tel. No. 207-0081111, (price at time of writing £12.00 per document)
Web site: www.fco.gov.uk/legalisation.


Importation of vehicles

25. Genuine tourists and short-term visitors are permitted to bring in a foreign registered car with them for their personal use during a holiday or visit. There is no problem, provided that the owner is not resident in Spain and the car is taken out of the country on departure.

26. If the vehicle is left in Spain, the owners can, before departure, apply to the nearest customs authorities to have the car sealed and subsequently arrange with them to have the car unsealed on their return to Spain.

27. Any person who spends more than a total of six months in any one year in Spain is considered resident for the purpose of importing a car. The regulations relating to the import of cars into Spain are extremely complex, and although the motoring associations in the UK and the Real Automovil Club de Tenerife (RACE), Calle Galcerán, Edificio El Drago, 38003 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Tel: 922-532060, Fax: 922-532071) can sometimes provide guidance, the authoritative source of information about the procedure involved is the Directorate General of Customs in Madrid. See Annex K.

28. Any vehicle to be imported must be registered for the road by the local authorities. A certificate is currently being refused for right hand drive cars, on the grounds that the driver's visibility is impaired. Conversion to left hand drive would make the car acceptable to the authorities but the expense involved is usually prohibitive.

29. If permission is granted for a car to be imported permanently, it is understood that the present regulations of these Islands call for the payment of a Luxury Tax in the case of cars, boats or caravans. This must not be confused with Customs duty - it is a Free Port - the tax is quite apart and nothing to do with Customs. The amount of tax payable varies with the capacity of the engine and the age of the vehicle.

Motor insurance regulations

30. Under Community legislation, motorists in EC member states must be covered for third party liability. However, there is no Community legislation, which lays down the conditions applicable to third party or comprehensive motor insurance. This is a matter for member states, whose national regulations may differ.

It is therefore strongly advisable to make sure that an insurance policy held with a Spanish company provides adequate cover for your needs It can be difficult to secure a more satisfactory settlement retrospectively.

31. Visitors to Spain must have full third party insurance for the vehicle, but no longer need a separate "bail bond".

Driving licences

32. The part pink/part green driving licence issued by the DVLC in the UK is said to be acceptable in all EC countries and should be recognised as valid for all purposes in Spain when used by visitors.

33. The pink-coloured licence issued in the UK should also be valid for all purposes. However, it should be pointed out that although the Spanish Ministry of Transport have agreed to this, there have been instances of individual Spanish policemen not being aware of the ruling.

34. The green-coloured British driving licence is only accepted if used by tourists and accompanied by an official translation into Spanish (which we understand is available from the Spanish Embassy in London). Holders of these licences may prefer to use an International Driving Licence, issued anywhere outside Spain.

35. British residents in Spain, however, may exchange their license for a Spanish driving licence, if so wished. This applies regardless of the type of British licence held. The documentation needed is set out below:-

i) British driving licence (original and copy)
ii) Passport (original and copy)
iii) N.I.E.
iv) Certificate of registration from Town Hall (empadronamiento), for the last 6 months.
v) Two "carnet" size photographs.

All holders of British driving licenses, resident in Spain, are obliged to notify the Spanish Traffic Department of their licence details, if they continue to drive on their British licence. This must be done in person at Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico, Calle Heliodoro Rodríguez López 34, Santa Cruz de Tenerife; Tel: 922-227840.


36. The Islands are notably free from epidemic disease and sanitation facilities are good. However, sufferers from sinusitis may find their condition aggravated by residence on the Islands.

37. British visitors to Spain should note that advice on medical treatment abroad is contained in leaflets SA29 and SA30, which are available from the Department of Health.

38. Those who are entitled to the benefits of the UK National Health Service have an entitlement to receive health care from the Spanish Social Insurance Scheme under the same conditions as an insured Spanish citizen. The scheme covers treatment by Social Security doctors on Social Security business. Private medical bills are not covered, neither can they be reclaimed after payment.

39. To establish their right to such care, prospective visitors should obtain a Form E111 from their local DHSS or Post Office, before travelling. The latest relaxation of administrative procedures states that a photocopy of the original E111 will be acceptable to the Social Security doctor as proof of eligibility under the Scheme.

40. It should be noted that the health care available, is that afforded to an entitled Spanish citizen and may vary from that offered in the UK. In no case will it provide for the medical repatriation of patients.
This consulate recommends that any prospective British travellers obtain private medical insurance (easily available through travel agents) for their visit, before coming to the Canaries.

Treatment for UK Pensioners in Spain

41. Persons in receipt of a UK State pension and resident in Spain, are entitled to receive free medical treatment in Spain (including, of course, the Canary Islands) under the same conditions as a qualified Spanish State pensioner. Most entitled pensioners will have already been so notified by the DHSS and provided with a form E121. If you have not heard from the Department and wish to ascertain your own position, you should write to:-

The International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
NE98 1BA

Persons wishing to settle in Spain after early retirement, i.e. before the normal UK pensionable age (60 for women, 65 for men), should, before travelling, consult their local DHSS office about their medical cover, possibly under form E106.

42. Once in possession of form E121 (and with your passport), you should register with the INSS (Instituto Nacional de Seguridad Social). Initial registration must be done at the main office in Santa Cruz: Calle General Gutiérrez No. 4. There are 36 Health Centres on the island of Tenerife, with many minor branches, all of which are able to handle the posterior procedure. Some of these can be found at:-

Adeje - Calle Manuel Bello Ramos,s/n, Tel: 922-711533
Arona - Avenida Penetración, s/n, Edificio Valdes Centre, Los Cristianos, Tel: 922-7840
Puerto de la Cruz - Polígono El Tejar, Calle El Pozo, s/n, Tel: 922-389834
La Laguna - Avenida Trinidad 50, Tel: 922-315722
La Palma - Calle Pérez Galdós 5, Santa Cruz de La Palma, Tel: 922-418027
La Gomera - Calle Ruiz de Padrón 32, San Sebastián de La Gomera, Tel: 922-872005
El Hierro - Calle La Constitución 27, Valverde, Tel: 922-550525

43. For initial registration, you should go to the counter labelled "Convenios Internacionales". Form E121 will be taken from you and you will be issued with a pensioner's health card and explanatory notes (in Spanish). Unless you specify that you wish to be registered with a particular "Servicio Canario de Salud" (SCS) doctor at your nearest out-patients clinic (Centro de Salud), one will be assigned to you, as will other specialists and the address of the "Centro de Salud". It should be noted that registration can only be effected with Spanish SCS doctors and not private practitioners.


44. It must be stressed that the above provisions only apply to Centros de Salud and Social Security Hospitals (such as those listed in Annex E). Anyone wishing to attend a private clinic should note that they will be personally responsible for any costs incurred. These clinics (see Annex E) are usually run on a commercial basis and can be very expensive.

45. It should be noted that the Spanish Social Security does not provide long-term or geriatric care in hospitals. If such care is required in Spain, private arrangements must be made.


46. The Spanish Embassy in London should be consulted for authoritative advice. We understand that personal effects, including used radios and televisions, refrigerators, electric or gas cooking stoves, floor polishers, washing machines, pianos and bicycles, imported on establishing residence can be brought into the Canaries without any formality, other than by presenting a complete inventory in duplicate (in Spanish and visaed by the Spanish Consul in the country of origin) to the Customs at the time of clearance, and signing various papers, including a pledge that they will not be sold within two years. This should be done within the first six months of residence. Owners and tenants of properties, which they themselves occupy for holiday purposes for only a part of the year, may apply for the duty-free entry of their used household and personal effects to Puertos Francos in Santa Cruz. Applications should be supported by the contract of sale or lease, evidence of the transfer from abroad of the funds for the purchase of the property or for payment of the rent, and an inventory in duplicate of the effects. In the case of temporary residence, the Spanish authorities require a two year banker's guarantee, issued by a bank based in Spain, that the goods will remain in the same dwelling, which cannot be let or sublet by the foreign owners, and must be reserved for their exclusive use.

Wedding trousseaux

47. It is understood that a non-resident foreign woman, on her marriage to a Spaniard or other foreign national residing in Spain, may be allowed to import furniture, clothing, personal and household goods, wedding gifts and anything which can be considered necessary elements for forming a new home, even though the major part of them are new. The granting of exemption of duties is at the discretion of the Spanish Treasury Department (Ministry of Finance), who sometimes insist on evidence of reciprocity, i.e. that Spanish nationals may import wedding gifts free of duty into the United Kingdom. This assurance cannot be given and some applications have failed on these grounds. Application for exemption should be made by letter, immediately after marriage has taken place, enclosing (in Spanish, visaed by the Spanish representative in the country of origin), a list in duplicate of the furniture and effects and indicating which items are new. A copy of the marriage certificate should be enclosed. For authoritative advice on this matter, the Spanish Embassy in London, or the Directorate-General of Customs in Madrid, should be consulted. (Calle Guzman El Bueno 127, Madrid).


48. There are no quarantine regulations, but the health authorities will wish to see a certificate that an imported animal or bird is in healthy condition. This certificate should be obtained from a veterinary surgeon in the UK shortly before the pet's arrival in the Islands, and should preferably be accompanied by an official Spanish translation. The Spanish Embassy in London or a Spanish Consular Office elsewhere in the UK will be able to provide this translation. In the case of dogs, the veterinary certificate should state that the animal has been inoculated against rabies.

49. It should be remembered that dogs, except in some cases a guide dog, are not allowed on beaches, nor in taxis, buses or restaurants in Spain, and that there are stringent rules attached to the re-importation of a pet into the UK after being abroad.


50. Throughout the Islands there are plenty of private Spanish schools, but their curricula and teaching methods are very different from those followed in the UK. The hours are longer and the tuition is naturally given entirely in Spanish.

51. In North Tenerife, the British Yeoward School provides a general education in English for children from 2 - 18 years, IGCSE and "A" Levels, and the Trinity School for children from 2 - 18, IGCSE and "A" Levels Enquiries should be addressed to the Secretary, British Yeoward School, Parque Taoro, Puerto de la Cruz, Tel: 922 38 46 85 (located some 26 miles from Santa Cruz, the capital) and to Trinity School, Camino Montijo 16, La Carrera, Los Realejos, Tel: 922 34 54 50, e-mail: trinityschool@telefonica.net
In the south of the island, some 12 miles from Playa de las Americas, the Wingate School caters for children aged 4 - 16, and the English Educational Centre for children from 3 - 11. Enquiries to the Headmaster, Wingate School, Calle Mirador de las Cumbritas, El Llano, Cabo Blanco, Arona, Tel: 922 72 01 02, web site: www.wingateschool.com ; and to the English Educational Centre, San Blas 11, Golf del Sur, San Miguel de Abona, Tel: 922 73 86 38.


52. In the Province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, there is a resident British community of approximately 20,000 persons (although the number of British property owners is much higher). Most Britons are concentrated in the areas of Puerto de la Cruz in the north, and Playa de las Americas/Los Cristianos in the south of the island. A small number of Britons also live on the islands of La Palma and La Gomera.

53. The British Games Club in Puerto de la Cruz used to offer tennis, croquet and bowls but is currently seeking new premises. All enquiries to the Secretary, British Outdoor Games Club, at Apartado 618; 38400 - Puerto de la Cruz, Tel: 922 57 51 65.

54. There is also the English Library in Puerto de la Cruz, where several thousand books and videos are available on loan to residents and visitors. Enquiries to the Librarian, Biblioteca Iglensa, Apartado 83, Parque Taoro, Puerto de la Cruz.

Religious Amenities

55. Spain is prely a Roman Catholic country and there are many Roman Catholic churches throughout the Islands. There is however a long established Anglican Church at Parque Taoro in Puerto de la Cruz (All Saints Church) with a resident British Chaplain and a British Cemetery in the same area. Anglican Church services on Sundays are also held by a British Chaplain at the San Eugenio Church in Pueblo Canario, Playa de las Americas, at San Blas, Costa del Silencio and the Church of the Holy Spirit, Los Gigantes.

Births, Deaths and Marriages

56. The births and deaths of British citizens should be registered with the British Consulate-General in Madrid. Certain documents are essential for either purposes and the Consulate will be able to advise about these. It is especially important that local births and deaths be registered with the Spanish authorities first.

57. The British Consulate is not permitted to celebrate marriages, but British subjects who are non-Catholics and who wish to marry in Spain, can normally arrange a civil marriage ceremony through one of the Spanish Courts of Justice, providing that one of the parties to the marriage can prove a minimum of two years residence in Spain. It is also possible to marry in one of the Anglican churches on the island, although the same residence qualifications apply.

58. Those wishing to marry a Spanish national in Spain should first consult - (a) the local Civil registry in the area where they wish to marry and (b) the local priest if there is to be a religious ceremony. All non-Spanish documents presented, must be legalised and accompanied by an official translation into Spanish. (See paragraph 24). This always includes the birth certificate and proof that the interested party is free to marry. British nationals would normally need a certificate of no impediment, issued by a register office in the UK or by a British Consulate after notice of marriage had been posted for a period of 21 days.

59. Marriage in Gibraltar may offer a more practical alternative to marriage in Spain, as no residence qualification is necessary. Information may be obtained from:-

The Marriage Registrar
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
277 Main Street
Tel (956) 77 22 89


60. Other than on compassionate grounds or in emergency, British Consulates are unable to accept private mail for British visitors or residents. Poste restante facilities are available at the main Post Office.


61. Other sources of additional information on some of the subjects mentioned in these Notes are found in the appropriate sections. The Spanish State Tourist Office in St. James Street, London, can supply brochures dealing with hotels, recreational amenities and tourism in the Islands. There are also, of course, many books on the subject. Two useful examples are: "Living in Spain" published by Lookout Books, Lomo de los Riscos 1, Torremolinos, Malaga and "Your Home in Spain" published by the Instituto de Propietarios Extranjeros SA., Plaza Constitución s/n, Edificio Lucero 1C, Apartado 35, Calpe, Alicante.

62. As well as the UK national press, several English language newspapers and magazines are available. These are: "Island Connections", "Canarian Weekly", "Tenerife News", "The Paper", and "The Western Sun". See Annex G.

63. Spanish Tourist Offices overseas and tourist agents have a considerable amount of illustrated and interesting literature, but generally it does not cover the many points which are of interest to prospective residents.



1. The British Consulate is not equipped to provide an employment service and cannot reply to enquiries about openings for employment, take up references, enter into detailed correspondence or make arrangements in connection with paid or unpaid work. The Consulate has no standing to intervene in disputes over employment, contracts, etc. Whilst entirely a matter for their own discretion, enquirers may wish to seek legal advice before signing any contract (Annex H).

2. There is currently a high national level of unemployment and it is often difficult therefore, for foreigners to obtain remunerative work in Spain. A good knowledge of Spanish is normally essential for most jobs.

3. Self-employed persons must establish that they have applied for all the necessary documentation to engage in their proposed activity. This can only be that which would be required from a Spanish citizen in the same circumstances, but can be complex. The following list shows some of the papers that may be requested:

a) Solicitud Licencia de Apertura del Ayuntamiento (Application for the Opening Licence from the Town Hall)
b) Solicitud Licencia Municipal (Application for the Municipal Licence).
c) Solicitud de Apertura de la Dirección Territorial de Trabajo, Sanidad y Seguridad Social (Application for the Opening from the Territorial Directorate of Work, Health and Social Security).
d) Alta como Autónomo en la Seguridad Social (Certificate of Enrolment in the Social Security).
e) Alta Licencia Fiscal (Business Licence).
f) Solicitud Autorización de la Consejería de Turismo y Transporte (Application for Authorisation from the Council for Tourism).
g) Concesión de la Jefatura de Costas (Authorisation from the Coastal Authorities).
h) Solicitud Autorización de Manipuladores de Alimentos (Application for Food Handlers Authorisation).
i) Solicitud Autorización del Ministerio de Transportes, Turismo y Comunicaciones (Application for Authorisation from the Ministry of Transport, Tourism and Communications).

5. Persons merely looking for work are not subject to any formalities, but would normally be expected to support themselves whilst doing so.


The signature, on July of 2000, in Marseilles, by the Secretaries of the Interior of some Member States of the European Union, among them Spain, of a Declaration for the suppression of the obligation to hold a residence card in certain cases, has impelled Spain to eliminate from its system the requirement of a residence card for citizens of Member States of the European Union, of other States part of the European Economic Area Agreement (EEE), or of the Swiss Confederation, who have an activity, benefit from the right of permanent residence, are students or are family members of all those persons being also citizens of the mentioned States.

Do I need to apply for the residence card?

No, if you are the holder of an identity document or a national passport valid and in force and if you are in one of the following circumstances:

Nevertheless, even if you are covered by one of the above cases, and you still wish to request the residence card, the administrative agencies will process your request.

Only in other cases which are different from the above, and you intend to remain in Spanish territory for more than three months you must apply, within a period of one month from your entry, for the corresponding residence card at the Oficina de Extranjeros (Foreigners Office) during normal office hours, Monday to Thursday: 09:00 - 17:15, Fridays: 09:00 - 14:00.

For those needing them, applications for residence cards should be made direct to the Oficina de Extranjeros (in Tenerife at Calle La Marina No.20, Santa Cruz). The new regulations governing their issue were published as a Royal Decree No.178/2003 of 14 February 2003 and published in the Official Bulletin of 22 February 2003. Generally speaking EU citizens who are registered students or because of employment are in the Spanish social security system will no longer need a residence card.

Pensioners in receipt of non-Spanish pensions and those of independent means will still need to do so, but the procedure has been much simplified.

Note: applicants are likely to be asked for the following items:

British Consulate General
Paseo de Recoletos, 7-9 4
28004 MADRID
Tel: (91) 5249770

British Consulate
Plaza Mayor 3D
Tel: (971) 712445/716048/712085

British Consulate General
Alameda de Urquijo 2 8
48008 BILBAO
Tel: (94) 4157600/4157711

Hon. British Consulate
Plaza Compostela 23-6
36201 VIGO
Tel: (986) 437133

Hon. British Consulate
Paseo de Pereda 27
Tel: (942) 220000
British Consulate
Edifico Cataluña
Luis Morote 6
Tel: (928) 262508

British Consulate General
Edif. Torre de Barcelona
Avenida Diagonal 477, 13

Tel: (93) 419 90 44
British Consulate
Plaza Weyler 8-1
Tel: (922) 286863

British Vice-Consulate
Avda. Isidoro Macabich 45
07800 IBIZA
Tel: (971) 301818/303816

British Consulate
Plaza Calvo Sotelo 1-2
Tel: (96) 5216022/5216190

Hon. British Consulate
Calle Real 33, 1-1
Tel: (977) 220812

British Consulate
Edificio Duquesa
Duquesa de Parcent 8-1
29001 MALAGA
Tel: (95) 2217571/2212325

Hon. British Vice-Consulate
Sa Casa Nova
Cami de Biniatap 30
07720 Es Castell, MENORCA
Tel: (971) 363373


Spanish Embassy - 39 Chesham Place, London SW1X 8SB Tel: (870) 162 08 62 Fax: (207) 235 99 05
Spanish Consulate General - 20 Draycott Place, London SW3 2RZ Tel: (870) 1620862 Fax: (207) 5817888 E-mail: conspalon@mail.mae.es
Spanish Consulate General - Suite 1A, Brook House, 70 Spring Gardens, Manchester, M2 2BQ Tel: (161) 2361262 Fax: (161) 2287467 E-mail: conspmanchester@mail.mae.es
Spanish Consulate General - 63 North Castle St. Edinburgh, EH2 3LJ Tel: (131) 2201843 Fax: (131) 2264568 E-mail: cgspedimburgo@mail.mae.es
Spanish Tourist Office - 22-23 Manchester Square London W1M 5AP Tel: (207) 486 80 34


Santa Cruz
* Hospital Universitario Ntra. Sra. de la Candelaria, Ctra. del Rosario 145 Tel: 922 602000/2010/2135 Fax: 922 600608
Hospiten Rambla, Rambla Gral.Franco 115 Tel: 922 291600/248484 Fax: 922 291088
* Hospital Psiquiátrico Provincial, Domingo J. Manrique 2 Tel: 922 286600/04/50 Fax: 922 241841
Servicio de Urgencias Pediatricas (Hospitalito), C/ Dr. Miguel López s/n Tel: 922 470904/05/06 Fax: 922 470907
Clínica Parque, Mendez Nuñez 40 Tel: 922 274400/04 Fax: 922 247674
Clínica Santa Cruz, Enrique Wolfson 8 Tel: 922 534733/31 Fax: 922 281166
Clínica La Colina, Poeta Rguez Herrera 1 Tel: 922 270700/280700 Fax: 922 270908
Clínica Capote, Rambla Gral.Franco 84 Tel: 922 278200/04/08 Fax: 922 276698
Hospital San Juan de Dios Ctra. General del Norte 53 Tel: 922 645511/90 Fax: 922 648790

La Laguna
* Hospital Universitario de Canarias, Ctra. Cuesta-Taco Tel: 922 678000/8256 Fax: 922 578071
* Hospital Enfermedades del Torax , Ctra. Cuesta-Taco Tel: 922 602461 Fax: 922 602466 (is National Health)
* Hospital Nuestra Señora de los Dolores, Curva de Gracia No.2, Las Oblatas Tel: 922 255312/1376 Fax: 922 259532

Puerto De La Cruz
Hospiten Bellevue, c/ Alemania 6 Tel: 922 383551 Fax: 922 370312
Hospiten Tamaragua, Agustin de Bethencourt 30 Tel: 922 380512 Fax: 922 380850

La Orotava
Clínica Orotava Urb. San Miguel 2 Tel: 922 330550 Fax: 922 331862

Playa De Las Americas
Hospiten Las Americas Playa de las Americas Tel: 922 750022/1434 Fax: 922 793618
Hospital Costa Adeje, Ctra. Gral. del Sur Tel: 922 752626/791000 Fax: 922 796570

La Palma
* Hospital General, Buenavista de Arriba s/n Tel: 922 185000/5277

La Gomera
* Hospital Insular Ntra. Sra. de Guadalupe, El Calvario No.4, San Sebastian de La Gomera Tel: 922 140200 Fax: 922 870021

El Hierro
* Hospital Ntra. Sra. de Los Reyes , c/ Constitución No.29, Valverde, El Hierro Tel: 922 552800/2990 Fax: 922 550330


GRUPO VITALICIO, Pilar 2, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Tel: 922 533690 Fax: 922 246727

ADESLAS, c/ Ramon y Cajal 1, Edif. Salesianos, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Tel: 922 274516 Fax: 922 246340

SANITAS, Suarez Guerra 42 - 1, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Tel: 922 242782/3849 Fax: 922 240419

AEGON SA, Cdte.Sanchez Pinto 3, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Tel: 922 244353/9443 Fax: 922 283111

AXA PPP Health Care Tel: 1892-512345 Fax: 1737-815881
International Insurance Dept. Phillip House, Crescent Rd, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 2PL

Exeter Friendly Society , Tel: 1392-353500 Fax: 1392-353591
Lakeside House, Emperor Way, Exeter EX1 3FD


http://www.ukinspain.comBritish Authorities in Spain
http://www.mir.es Spanish Home Office; Residence registration information, in Spanish
http://www.gobcan.esLocal Government information, in Spanish
http://www.fco.gov.uk/ Foreign & Commonwealth Office in London
http://www.defra.gov.uk/ Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs: information on The Pet Travel Scheme